Monday, January 26, 2009

Australian Open update

We 're now into quarter final action at the Oz Open and my predictions have been solid. Nalbandian, no chance. Murray, not yet son. Djokovic, gathering momentum. Simon, into the final 8 at good odds. And Verdasco, my $151 shot still alive! At this stage, the only thing I would alter is replacing Federer with Nadal as favourite. Rafa looks sharp; I've never seen him look this good so early in the season, which will be a worry for the rest of the tour. He has played two guys in Haas and Gonzalez, who are not only talented, but played very well on the day...and he dusted them off in straight sets. Here's the quarter final line-up:

Roddick vs Djokovic

I like Djokovic in this one despite his late night encounter with Baghdatis. Roddick is in good form, but you'd think he'll end up a one-Slam wonder, and the Djoker looks like he'll be peaking at the right time here.

Federer vs Del Potro

Del Potro is one of my favourites, but whichever way I look at it, I can't seem him rolling the Fed. Federer usually brings his A-game after a scare and Del Potro has yet to win a set in their three clashes thus far.

Simon vs Nadal

Nadal. Financially it would be better for me if Simon gets up but Nadal is like Hansel...so hot right now. But it will be his closest match thus far. Simon rolled Rafa on his home turf last year at the Madrid Masters, so the world number 1 won't be underestimating him. But he's just so hot right now...

Verdasco vs Tsonga

Verdasco. Juicy odds, knocked out Murray, is doing Anna Ivanovic, the man is on fire! Tsonga looks the goods as well, but is he doing Ivanovic? Could you get $151 on him at the start of the Open? No and no. Verdasco to win!

No comments: