Saturday, October 3, 2009

NRL Grand Final Preview

One thing is for certain; the Parra most certainly Matta. If not tomorrow, then next year, with the most promising young halves and backline in the NRL, the addition of more monster forwards in Poore and Shackleton, and with the best player in the world. They have been boosted in this game by the miraculous recovery of captain Nathan Cayless, cramming four weeks worth of rehab into one. There are many scenarios I can see possibly unfolding; they don't include the scenario that has been spruiked to me all week by people who obviously don't actually watch the NRL but instead get their "league knowledge" from sources such as the Brisbane Courier Mail. "Storm by 30 because they've got the Grand Final experience" said one punter. "Storm in a whitewash because they've got too much experience" said my dry cleaner. Another acquintance assured me that the "Storm will win by plenty, maybe even 30 or 40; they've just got too many big game players, too much experience". Sorry guys, that's just sloppy. I will confidently predict that the Storm will not win this by 30+. Manly and Brisbane were woeful in their thrashings at the hands of the Storm but I wouldn't be expecting the same from a creative and exuberant Eels line-up. I have no idea who's going to actually win, and in all honesty, that's the way I like my Grand Finals. Obviously the Storm do have big time game-breakers in Inglis and Slater but that doesn't mean they run away with this. On the contrary, I predict this will be a 1-12 margin on the back of the defense from both sides. Another friend told me earlier in the week that "the Storm will completely shut down Hayne". How exactly they would do that, only my esteemed friend knows. The guy is the complete package and if the Storm shut him down in one area, he'll inject himself more in another. Hayne is a smart player like this. Ultimately, as stacked full of superstars as these backlines are, it comes down to the battle up front, and a fearsome one it promises to be. Fui Fui, ol' "Gammy-Leg" Cayless, "Coin-Slot" Hindmarsh, the under-rated Lowrie, and a rejuvenated Galuvao (Nuh-la-vow) up against "I used to be soft like Jason Ryles but then I knocked out Steve Price!" White, Blair, Lima, Hoffman and "I don't get knocked out that often" Johnson. Looking forward to all of that, hopefully some big hits, plenty of feeling, maybe some knuckle and a bit of blood, yeah that'd be nice with a half a carto under the belt. Look for the Eels to bring some heat on former team-mate Finch, for Finch to get stroppy, only to hide behind White when the going gets rough. The Storm would want to play some footy in this; at times they are guilty of being too conservative, just trucking it up the middle and waiting for their opponents to make a mistake. They will not be able to do this against the Eels; Parra have too many points in them. Most of my family will be cheering on the Storm, as my old man is mates with old man Cronk. My missus is a Storm "fan" and now they have made the Grand Final she might even watch a match. I am actually looking forward to a GF that I don't have serious cash riding on. Trying to enjoy the big one whilst having heart palpatations is difficult. But mostly I'm looking forward to chicken and honey barbecue rissoles...mmm....I am not really going for either side, for once I'm actually just going to watch a game as a purist. Maybe I'm getting old...

Should be a cracker, taking "Coin Slot" for the Clive Churchill medal at $8 and also Johnson at the rough odds of $34. Oh, and Lowrie at $34, just 'cause I like the cut of his jib. Will Chambers at $13 for first try-scorer and also Daniel Mortimer at $16.

And that is all folks for season 2009.....thank you very much, you've all been great.....sigh.....

No comments: