Friday, October 30, 2009

Derby day tips: Bigger, better more satisfying.

Race 1: Banking on good some country lead-up form for my two which is always a little dicey. I get the feeling that The Comedian could be a bit special so I'll lean that way. Just so you don't think I'm really Wayne "Take Avenue each Way" Harris, my second elect is rank outsider Ruse de Guerre.

Race 2: Like 4:00AM outside Rowers, this race always has the smell of desperation and shame. However, two horses that might be a little better than their drunk desperate mates are Hume and Hoorang. Don't be surprised if Light Vision shows them just how mediocre they are, even with his big weight.

Race 3: Run for Naara.

Race 4: Cool, cool race. Also tough. If it was raining I'd put all my $$$ for the day on the Shellscrape/Phelan Ready Quinella and go home. That not being the case, I'm still pretty happy to work around those two. But I'll add in a couple at value in Delago Bolt (whose one run down the straight six was full of merit chasing home Black Caviar) and Marquardt who looks back after a strong run behind Avenue.

Race 5: When peaking (which he seems to be!) Zipping is at his best over this trip and is my top pick here. Beyond that, perhaps the Sydney raiders - Rangirangdoo, Racing to Win and Drumbeats but really a ??? race for me and I'll go super easy.

Race 6: Shamoline Warrior a big chance here and I may just stick with him. Rockferry and Our Heir Apparent the two that could cause it the most problems. At really good value, Our Heir Apparent each way is my pick here.

Race 7: I'll be value shopping here for sure. Glowlamp, Messenger, Zarita and Jolies Shinju.

Race 8: Olonana flies first up and I'll be pounding it. I get this sneaky suspicion that News Alert is up to this level as well so I might add it each way as well.

Race 9: Triple Honour could win this race, maybe?? Perhaps Largo Lad and Occidentalis could run a race at some nice each way value as well.

No comments: